Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May Restaurant Field Report

Its been two months since my last Restaurant Field Report and I have a few updates. I didn't make it to as many new restaurants as I would like, but I do get to cross one local place off my list, add a few to list, and share my all time favorites places in Seattle. Enjoy!

Cross off the list

Spinasse: I've been looking forward to going to Spinasse with my parents and sister because they love authentic, rustic Italian food. They came over for part of Memorial Day weekend, so I jumped on the chance to take them here and I'm glad it worked out. Christy's sister Caroline also got to join us for our Sunday night dinner. All I knew about this place is that the chef makes fresh pasta every day and that it has been one of the top new restaurants in Seattle (located in Capitol Hill near Pike Street).

Now to the goods. We were seated at a community table, which we shared with two other groups. This wasn't so bad because we got to see what others were eating. Right after we sat down, were given complimentary bruschetta (one with some sort of pate and one with a somewhat sour cheese). This reminds me of a conversation I had with my sister Jeannie about whether the unexpected free food is worth the premium you pay for the rest of the food. I think that if you are going to a restaurant with premium prices then you're prepared to pay that premium, so the sticker shock isn't a factor and the unaccepted treat is just a bonus. What do you think?

The menu follows a traditional format of Antipasti (appetizers), Primi (pastas), Secondi (meat), Contorni (sides/veggies), and Dolci (dessert). We started with the sampler antipasti, which allowed us to get a taste of all the delicious starters. These aren't the kind of appetizers you get at some place like the Olive Garden (calamari, artichoke dip, or flatbread). I could hardly interpret half of the dishes and really didn't know what to expect. My favs were veal with tuna maionesse (sounds weird, but yummy) and rich anchovy fillets. Next we ordered one of each of the homemade pastas (fine cut egg pasta with ragu, ravioli with butter/sage/pine nuts, and "random wide cuts" of pasta with braised pork). Each of them had such a rich deep flavor that complemented the light and fresh pasta. I know Jeannie wished they had gnocchi...maybe next time. We like these so much we got another round because of the rare opportunity to get this high-quality pasta (and we got to keep the leftovers!). For the Secondi, we had some sort of pork chop and a rabbit dish. I think I like the rabbit better, but really the pastas were the highlight of the night. We also got some roasted turnips and their greens and some potatoes. For dessert, we sampled the chocolate torte.

Aside from the food, the restaurant was quite small with capacity for only 45 or so, and no waiting area. The bar looks straight into the kitchen, which looks more like a Julia Childs kitchen than a typical industrial type kitchen. I would love to sit up there and watch them prepare all the delicious food. The bar is used by the chef/owner Justin Neidermeyer to make his pastas in the morning. Service was a little slow, but we got there pretty late and they kept the kitchen open for us as we were a little slow in getting our orders in, so that was nice of them. I enjoyed the food, but I don't feel compelled to return. I got the experience I was looking for as I enjoyed the meal with my family, but in the end it isn't really my style of food. I'm starting to realize my style of taste with food. While I enjoy watching all the gourmet cuisine made in shows like Iron Chef and the intrigue of techniques used, I don't enjoy eating the food as much. At first I thought it was the type of restaurants that serve that type of food (see La Cirque), I think it has more to do with the food itself. I still can't quite pinpoint what it is that I don't like, but I'm enjoying going through the process of developing my preferences, both with the food I eat and they ambiance of the restaurants I eat at. So in the end, like I said, I enjoyed the experience of exploring a new restaurant, trying new tastes and being with my family, but I don't feel like I need to go back. Another reason is that there are so many other exciting restaurants in Seattle, some on my list and some yet to be discovered, that if something isn't quite right for me, then there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

Now, don't just take my word for it. Check out these other reviews by people who actually get paid to write this stuff.

Add to the list

Caribbean
Paseo: I heard about this place from a waiter in New York city who grew up in Seattle. Then I saw it in piece about Fremont in the Seattle Magazine. Apparently they have killer Caribbean sandwhiches, though I don't really know what that means. I found a picture from MyBallard.com and it looks like a taco wagon for Caribbean food. They don't even have a website. Found a Seattle Times review, which puts them in same category as Baguette Box, which just happens to be one my favorite gourmet sandwhich places in Seattle. Excited to learn more about this place. Located in Ballard and Fremont.

Gastropub
Quinns Pub: I first heard about Qunnis from the Seattle Metropolitan Magazine I was glancing through while I waited in line at Whole Foods. I had never heard of a gastroub before, but it sounded like it had gourmet food in a bar atmosphere, which sounded both delicious and fun (though the more I look into the more this it looks like this might fall into the "too fancy for Carl" category mentioned in the Spinasse review)! Quinns was also reccomeded by the waiter in NY. According to a Seattle Times review, "Will it be marrow bones, oxtail or rabbit pâté? Maybe a burger of Wagyu beef, or a wild boar Sloppy Joe? How about house-made sausage with lentils, or hangar steak with fries? Perhaps just a salad will do — but will it have smoked trout, grilled romaine, or Stilton cheese and pear?" Sounds intriguing...guess I'll have to find out for myself. Located in Capitol Hill.

French/Italian/American
Bis on Main: I heard about Bis on Main from the waiter in New York. And thats about all I know. Taking a look at the menu, I'd want to try the Gravlax with potato pancakes, Gnocchi in saffron cream, and Penn Cove Mussels in a curry sauce. The entries all look pretty expensive, so I'd probably stick with these appetizers. Check out this review from Seattle Times. Located in Bellevue.

Artisan Cured Meat
Salumi: I heard about Salumi as I was reading about the new Olive 8 Hyatt Hotel in Alaska Airlines magazine. I had just read that the hotel served meat from Salumi and then my dad mentioned something about how it was owned by Mario Batali's father, Armandino Batali. Thats about all I know about this place. It sounds like they have great sandwhiches and long lines at lunch. After a doing a little reading on their website and a Seattle Weekly article, I found out that Armandino grew up near Yakima (Mario Batali was born in Yakima...who knew!), worked for Boeing for 31 years before learning the art of meat curing and opening up Salumi. It started as a small deli but has turned into a well known and respected meat curing wholesaler with a deli (which is still tiny apparently). Can't wait to try this one! Located in Pioneer Square.

Top Restaurants in Seattle
I decided to put together a list of restaurants in Seattle I would recommend hands down, without reservations.
  • Portage Bay Cafe: Best breakfast/brunch in town and its within walking distance.
  • Buenos Aires Grill: Argentine steakhouse in Belltown where Christy and I had our first date and we got engaged.
  • Red Mill Burgers: Best burgers anywhere...located in Phinney Ridge and Interbay
  • Zeeks Pizza: Excellent pizza place a few blocks from our apartment. Christy's office gets it for work some days.
  • Whole Foods: Great selection of fresh, delicious ready to eat food: sandwichs, soups, sushi, teriyaki, pizza, salad bar, and hot bar. Sooo good.
  • Purple Cafe: So many good things here, like tapas, cheeses, salads, and mini-desserts. Attractive wine tower, though no corking fee if they don't have the wine you bring.
  • Pita Xpress: My favorite lunch place downtown. Great food and nice people.
What do you think? Have you been to any of these places? Do you have other favorites? Any places you are looking forward to eating at? Let me know by commenting on this story. Thanks!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

People at my work were talking about Paseo the other day and raving about it. Said the sandwiches are to die for. :)

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter