Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sounders FC Win Their First MLS Game!

The Seattle Sounders FC won their season opener in their first season as an MLS expansion team tonight! They beat the New York Red Bulls 3-0 in front of 32,523 fans at Quest Field, but we were not in the stands (more on that later). I'm stoked that the Sounders won and have been waiting for this game for months as I've kept track of their preseason progress from the Seattle Times Sounders Blog. Today was a huge day for Seattle sports, with both the Sounders and UW Huskies winning. Perhaps things will start looking up now for the Seattle sports scene. So, now that you know that the Sounders won, you get to hear about our quest to watch the game.

The best option would have been to buy tickets to this historical game, but the tickets all sold out in the first 15 minutes they were available. So with that option dead, I thought it would be fun to organize to watch the game at a local Irish pub (St Pattys week) where I knew they had a bunch of tvs. I worked with a friend who knows people at Paddy Coynes and they said they didn't have anything planned and I even got our apartment manager to publish a flyer in 3 apartments in South Lake Union advertising the event. Then, out of nowhere, a checkstand clerk at Whole Foods offered me her and her husband's tickets to the opening game. I was ecstatic and gave her my buiness card and she was supposed to call me. Naturally, she never called me and I stopped by Whole Foods yesterday after work and luckily found her, but unfortunately she got someone to cover her shift so they can go to the game now...sigh, good for her...bad for me.

So Christy and I wandered over to Paddy Coynes to watch the game, and guess what happens: they only have one satellite feed and everyone was watching the Gonzaga game and the rest of the March Madness, so that kind of fell apart. I don't think anyone else was coming anyway. So, then we tried out the German pub called Feierabend, but they only have one TV and it was on NCAA basketball too. Sigh...so we ended up at our go to restaurant, Southlake Grill, and not only did they offer to change the channel on one of their TV's, but they let us go up to the private room with a sweet TV just for us! We didn't miss the kickoff (or whatever its called at soccer games) and enjoyed a delicious hummus platter and habenero pork enchiladas. We watched the game with the general manager, who is a really nice guy we've talked to before, and a girl our age and her brother from Minnesota. The Sounders scored two great goals in the first half, to which I yelled "GOALLLLLLLL" and woke up Christy, who did appreciate the goals upon watching the replay. We headed home to watch the second half, and of course the Sounders won 3-0. They played great, especially for an expansion team. And we didn't even have Beckham-esque Sweedish superstar and underwar model Freddie Ljungberg for the game. The difference is that Ljungberg is recovering from surgery, whereas Beckham is being a punk and doesn't wanna leave his pretend team in Europe (AC Milan) to play with the real team (LA Galaxy).



Well, thanks for reading and know that Christy and I are super excited to go to a few Sounders games this year and are looking for friends and family to go with! Check out their schedule and let us know if you wanna go to a game with us.

BTW- I went 14 of 16 in my bracket picks today! Check out my bracket below.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
christy.olsen.field said...

I sure had fun with you last night, and I am excited to go to Qwest stadium for a real game. Will you buy me a scarf now?

Anonymous said...

Hey you two! I found your blog! Yay! =0) I like your loyalty to the Sounders---so hardcore!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I found your blog just by looking up old married couples on Facebook (the most likely population to have blogs) and checked under your (Christy's) info section--- just hoping you'd have one. :)

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter