Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Joshua Bell performs undercover in DC Subway

I heard about this story from the Seattle Sketcher, who while waiting in the Seattle bus tunnel for a media tour on the new Light Link Rail he noticed and sketched a woman playing the cello.

In his small description of the sketch, he mentions how this musician reminded him of an experiment that the Washington Post did with world famous and renowned violinist Johsua Bell. They asked him if he would be willing to perform incognito at a busy subway stop at L'Enfant Plaza in downtown DC. Only one person recognized him and in the 43 minutes of playing only made $32.17! The experiment was actually focused more on if people would stop and appreciate the beauty of the classical music as they hastily passed by on their way to work. Pretty cool story. What do you think?

1 comment:

JR said...

Hey, I read the original article & it really impacted me! It made me want to really notice people instead of treat them as props in my own life.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter